cosplay is back!!! what is cosplay you ask?
according to the public library of cincinnati & hamilton county, "cosplay is a term that originated in japan but is based on the english words “costume play,” essentially play-acting in costumes. in japan, cosplay is not limited to anime/manga, but also a staple of many other entertainment industries such as science fiction and horror. in north america, the term cosplay is reserved for anime/manga related costuming."
CosPlaying can be divided into two categories: basic cosplay and Masquerade. While basic cosplay only involves an attempt to look like a particular character, either in the halls of a convention or on stage, Masquerade is much more involved. When masquerading, CosPlayers attempt to act as the character would. They often have prepared skits with memorized lines, and the more advanced masqueraders can easily ad-lib their character’s personality.
"anime/manga cosplay has become very popular amongst fans in japan and north america. some cosplayers make their own costumes, investing large amounts of time and money in the process, while others buy their costumes from professional costume designers. the end products are generally shown off at anime conventions."
cosplay contests are often held at these conventions, the most well known convention being the comic-con held annually in san diego. san francisco has it's own mini-version, wondercon, held at the moscone center. and this group of cosplayers is no stranger to being crowned champs at these contests!"
this shoot is based on steampunk. here's a good rundown of steampunk via Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
now let me introduce to you C.R.U.D. or the Coalition of Rather Unusual Denizens in no particular order:
- Cheryll as Audioline Mixwell, Sonic Manipulator
- Sho as Aerial Cloudstream, Rocketeer (the guy with the big backpack thing)
- AJ as Nai the Spiderlily, Assassin (Asian girl with the rice picker hat)
- Aimee as Madame Cardea, Time Traveler & Opener of Doors (tall girl in all blue with huge wrist thing)
- Judy as Captain Adline Astra of the H.M.S. Zephyr (girl with all the trim/braiding on her lapels)
- Oscar as Lord Obadiah Carton, Evil League of Evil Hopeful (Asian guy with the goggles on his head)
- Kim as Speaker Mable O'Shira, Girl Thursday (tiny Asian girl with the long skirt and jacket)
- Lydia as Diabolica Grand Duchess Elspeth Bustledomme (Asian girl with sleeveless dress)
- Tony as Viscount Jarvis Kendrick, Ringmaster of the Cirque du Mal (TAAAALLL guy in the red jacket)
whew!!! now, kindly please enjoy the photos. =)